Ever wondered how a person ends up believing in God? One day they are saying they would never become a Christian and then next thing you know, they are inviting you to Church! On this blog, some people have volunteered to share how they became Christians. Feel free to explore the different stories at your own convenience.

Sunday, July 1, 2007

simple faith

This is Rowena's story.

Compared to a lot of other Christians, the story of how I chose life lacks any shock factor or awesome turnaround story – it is simply a story of how a young girl with simple faith believed what she learnt in Sunday School to be the truth, and subsequently grew up, consolidated her faith and continued to learn more about the God who saved her.

Growing up in a Christian family, I have never known a time where I have not believed in Jesus. I grew up going to Sunday School every week and what I learnt in church was reinforced at home by my Christian parents. My memory is not that clear as to exactly how and when I got saved (i.e. when I changed from believing in Jesus, to trusting in Him to save me from my sins), but I know that my journey to this point in time was a slow one inhibited mainly by my stubbornness!

High School was a time of finding my self and defining my identity. My friends all knew that I was a Christian and that I was ‘religious’ because I went to church every week, but they also saw me as other things not necessarily in line with the ‘typical Christian’. Looking back, I regret having sent any mixed messages for my high school friends, but I also know that the person I was at High School has allowed me to have a greater perspective in life too. All things happen for a reason and that is to become who God wants us to be (Romans 8: 28-29).

In these years, I also attended a Youth Camp where I watched a video entitled A Thief in the Night (crazy movie made in the 70s - check out the pic!) which was a real wake up call to a then-slumbering Christian. I was terrified that my relationship with God was non-existent and I immediately wanted to make sure that I was a true Christian who had a genuine relationship with God. That night, when the speaker invited us to pray with him, I remember rededicating my life to Christ. When I did that, I remember feeling a heavy weight being lifted from my heart - I was now sure that I was OK with God and that nothing could take me away from Him (Romans 8:37-39).

The next few years were a bit of a blur for me. I remember I started to go to church out of choice rather than obligation and I started to attend ‘optional’ meetings at church such as Youth Group and later Prayer Meeting. I also started helping out around church and participating in activities. I talked to God more and I started to read the Bible more too. Since this time, I have really seen that how real God is in my life and I have grown to love Him more and more.

Knowing God and having a relationship with Him has been awesome for me. It hasn’t always been easy, but I have come to realise that often what requires your effort is far more valuable than what costs you nothing. God has been real in my life. He has comforted me through His Word (the Bible) at times where I needed it most, and the guidance that God has given me in the past (and continues to give me now) has helped me really see purpose and direction in my life. God has taught me lessons that I never would have learnt without Him. Best of all, unlike a lot of non-Christians I know, I don’t fear dying because for a Christian, I know that death on earth means life in Heaven – and that brings me great comfort.

If you don't really feel as if you want a relationship with God, I would strongly encourage you to think about it. Seek Him until you find Him. It is the biggest decision you could EVER make in your life. It may sound too easy - but God made it easy so it is accessible to everyone. You may think that you aren't worthy, and you aren't really, but that's called love. It only takes the faith of a child to unlock the greater blessings in life that the God who has made everything has planned for you to enjoy. Take it, trust it, live it, learn it, and spread it. It's worth it.


with love in Christ,
Rowena Cheng

1 comment:

Autumn Leaf said...

I may not have known you as much as I would have liked, but having watched you grown up in the same church and now teaching Caleb and Abby in Sunday school, I thank God for raising people like yourself. My kids are blessed because of people like you, who serve our Lord faithfully. May His riches blessings be with you always and may His Words be the lamp unto your feet and His light unto your path.