Ever wondered how a person ends up believing in God? One day they are saying they would never become a Christian and then next thing you know, they are inviting you to Church! On this blog, some people have volunteered to share how they became Christians. Feel free to explore the different stories at your own convenience.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Predestined to become a Christian

This is Lee Lian Yong's story.
Before I accepted Christ into my life, I was brought up as a Roman Catholic for almost 19 years. . I always thought to myself that I was a strong believer in Roman Catholicism just because I recited the rosary daily. I was thinking that if I was earnest enough, God would surely hear my prayer through the intercession of Mary. Not only that, I was also worshipping idols made of wood and thinking to myself that they are god. I never thought that one day, I would be coming to Perth for further studies and become a Christian!
It is true how the Bible says, "A man heart devises his way: but the LORD directs his steps." - Proverbs 16:9. When I first came to Perth, it was not just by coincidence that my cousin brought me to church. Initially, I was quite reluctant to come to a Christian church and the people over here kept sharing the gospel to me. I was really stubborn and rejected the gospel a few times. I was thinking, how could I possibly be able to reject my faith as a Roman Catholic after so many years of praying to Mary. I told myself that I won't be brainwashed by these Christians.
The time finally came when God has opened my spiritual eye on 3rd Nov 2003, with his words – "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." – Jeremiah 29:13. Indeed, if you search for God and you shall find him. I am happy that I found my God. People did not force me into accepting Christ. It was completely the guidance of the Holy Spirit and because of God's grace after so many months that HE softened my heart to come to believe in Christ alone as my personal saviour. Since JESUS has come into my life, I realise my life has been completely changed and I am freed from the darkness which I have lived for 19 yrs believing in the false doctrine without knowing where I would end up eternally.
My sins are forgiven and I know where I am going when I leave this earth. I was never sure of my own salvation until I received HIM into my life. Real joy and peace has come into my heart. It was only the spirit of GOD who could give it to me. I could never sleep so soundly before and always got the fear in me of sleeping alone. But Christ has taken it away from me and HE has given me peace.
Of course, by accepting Christ into my life does not mean that everything will go well in my life. There are trials and tribulations which I have faced each year and each trial is getting harder for me to face. However, I know that I am not facing it alone and God is always there by my side. There is always a lesson for me to learn and GOD has strengthened my faith in HIM. What comforts me during times of difficulty I face is that the days are coming nearer for me to be with Christ – even so, come, LORD JESUS.
Lastly, I never regretted having Christ in my life because there is really no other gifts greater than this free gift of Eternal life. All we have to have to do is to repent of our sins and through the grace of God by faith we accept Christ into our life as our personal saviour and we shall be saved! To God be the glory!
His unworthy servant
Lian Yong

No comments: